The New Castle Police Department in New Castle, Pennsylvania, USA is looking for a new department logo. We're looking for a new graphic design (logo) that will be used in several different mediums. The main use for the design will be the creation of an embroidered patch that will be sewn to the top outside sleeve of police officers' uniforms. Please refer to this picture as an example of an arm patch for a police officer: http://www.pistolpetechecklist.com/…dpatch.jpg
This patch goes on the shoulder of the uniform (usually less than 4 x 5 inches). Attached you will find the following flies:
1. CITY-SEAL-2.jpg - this is the official seal of the city of New Castle. This is the municipality to which the police department belongs. This may or may not be used in the design (looking for Ideas).
2. Current NCPD Patch.jpg- this is the current patch that the officers wear on their uniforms. Because this patch will have to be removed when affixing the new one, we need the new patch to cover the same area that this one covers (to hide any damage done to the uniform from the affixing process).
3. NCPD Cruiser.jpg- this is a shot of the department's police cruiser graphic treatment.
4. NCPD-Patch-History-Pics.jpg -The three patches in this shot show a history of the department’s patches. We don’t want to duplicate any of the historical patches, but wanted to be sure you saw them to understand where the department is coming from.
We have several requirements for the new design:
1. The patch must be approximately the same dimensions of the patch in the NCPO Patch.jpg document in order to ensure that the new patch can be affixed to the officers' current uniforms without showing any damage from previous patches.
2. The officers' current uniforms are dark navy blue, so the patch design colors should compliment this as a base.
3. We don't want the “right place” wording any more.
4. We do like the Fireworks and the Latin saying. Though they don't have to be on the same design.
5. Including the city seal somehow would be good and/or some general reference to Pennsylvania, USA.
6. Would rather stay away from general law enforcement logos or symbols.
This design will also be incorporated into the header of a new web site being designed for the department, so a design that can be scaled down and still legible would be a great addition.
For any designers not familiar with designing for embroidery, please read pages 13-20 of this document:
It's important to remember that very fine lines, gradients, etc. cannot be easily sewn as a patch.